How to Hire a Programmer - Coding horror
- First, pass a few simple “Hello World” online tests.
- Ask to see their portfolio.
- Hire for cultural fit.
- Do a detailed, structured phone screen. A bit of on-the-fly coding. “Find the largest int value in an int array.” Some basic design. “Design a representation to model HTML.” Scripting and regular expressions. “Give me a list of the text files in this directory that contain phone numbers in a specific format.” Data structures. “When would you use a hashtable versus an array?” Bits and bytes. “Why do programmers think asking if Oct 31 and Dec 25 are the same day is funny?”
- Give them an audition project.
- Get in a room with us and pitch.
- None of this is guaranteed.
Mar 28, 2012